Re: cvs-version - how to build it?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: cvs-version - how to build it?
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:02:22 -0700

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I will guess that something appears to be wrong with the way you did a
> > cvs checkout of the autoconf sources.  How did you get them?  The
>
> That's probably the case
> I did (just once again)
> cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/webcvs/autoconf co autoconf
>
> which did not contain any file 'configure'

Ah, now all is clear!  You were looking at the autoconf web
documentation pages for http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf in CVS.
Note the difference between "webcvs" and "cvsroot".  (The difference
between "savannah" and "subversions" is no difference because
subversions is a DNS alias to savannah.  They are really the same.  At
least at the moment.)

> > following page documents how to get the sources by CVS.
> >
> >   http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=autoconf
> >
> > The following command is documented there.
> >
> >   CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/autoconf co autoconf
>
> Thanks, now I see the configure file, as well.
> I'd like to suggest to disable access to
> ext:address@hidden:/webcvs/autoconf

Compare the files you had in "webcvs" with the online web pages.  You
will find them the same.  You were just looking at another part of the
project.  No need to disable it.  And if you did then people working
on the web pages would have the same problem in reverse!

Documented at http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=autoconf is the
difference between those pages.

  Software repository:

    export CVS_RSH="ssh"
    cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/autoconf co autoconf

  Webpages repository:

    export CVS_RSH="ssh"
    cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/webcvs/autoconf co autoconf

Basically CVS is the "daily build" bleeding edge version many times
not suitable for the general population at large.  In particular note
the warning in the documentation, "DO NOT use Autoconf sources from
these locations for production use."  For more general use the
released versions are to be used.  You should only need CVS access if
you are a developer developing on autoconf itself.  Which is great.
New features and bug fixes are greatly appreciated.  But at that point
as a developer there is an expectation that you will be able to work
through issues such as these.

In any case, I am glad things are now working out for you.

Bob