preset output variables

From: wolfgang haefelinger
Subject: preset output variables
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:05:56 +0100

Greetings,

my Makefile.in in subdiretory "antlr" contains

 address@hidden@
 address@hidden@
 address@hidden@
 address@hidden@
 address@hidden@
 address@hidden@
 address@hidden@
 address@hidden@

ie, all build and source related directory
variables.

I'm getting this in "antlr/Makefile":

 builddir=.
 abs_builddir=/home/geronimo/obj/antlr-linux/antlr
 top_builddir=../
 abs_top_builddir=/home/geronimo/obj/antlr-linux/antlr/../.
 srcdir=/home/geronimo/src/antlrmain/antlr
 abs_srcdir=/home/geronimo/src/antlrmain/antlr
 top_srcdir=/home/geronimo/src/antlrmain
 abs_top_srcdir=/home/geronimo/src/antlrmain

According to documentation, "srcdir" and "top_srcdir"
should be relative. I'm sorry but I can't see this.

Especially the value for "srcdir": The documentation
(autoconf - dec 24, 2oo2) states:

 Variable: srcdir
 The relative path to the directory that contains the
 sourcecode for that `Makefile'.

What does this exactly mean. Ok, we should end up (in
my case) at

 ${packagedir}/antlr/Makefile.in

but where do we start? Do we start from the build
directory or do we start in ${packagedir}?

Appears to me that documentation has been written with
packagedir==builddir in mind -  but that's not true in
general, right?

What I'm missing is the "reverse" of "top_builddir" -
something like

 src_builddir="antlr"

Another thing that bothers me a bit is the value of

 abs_top_builddir=/home/geronimo/obj/antlr-linux/antlr/../.

I would rather prefer to have

 abs_top_builddir=/home/geronimo/obj/antlr-linux

which  makes  the  whole thing much more readable in my
opinion.

My autoconf version:
 - autoconf 2.59 (but I'm still using configure.in rather
   than configure.ac).

Regards,
Wolfgang.