Re: Using $bindir in configure.ac

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Using $bindir in configure.ac
Date: 14 Jan 2005 16:49:54 +0100

Stepan,

I have applied the last patch you sent to the macro and
committed it to the archive. The complete macro looks like
this now:

dnl @synopsis AC_DEFINE_DIR(VARNAME, DIR [, DESCRIPTION])
dnl
dnl This macro _AC_DEFINEs VARNAME to the expansion of the DIR
dnl variable, taking care of fixing up ${prefix} and such.
dnl
dnl VARNAME is offered as both a C preprocessor symbol, and an output
dnl variable.
dnl
dnl Note that the 3 argument form is only supported with autoconf 2.13 and
dnl later (i.e. only where _AC_DEFINE supports 3 arguments).
dnl
dnl Examples:
dnl
dnl    AC_DEFINE_DIR(DATADIR, datadir)
dnl    AC_DEFINE_DIR(PROG_PATH, bindir, [Location of installed binaries])
dnl
dnl @version $Id: ac_define_dir.m4,v 1.6 2005/01/14 15:28:54 simons Exp $
dnl @author Stepan Kasal <address@hidden>, Guido Draheim <address@hidden>,
Alexandre Oliva

AC_DEFUN([AC_DEFINE_DIR], [
  test "x$prefix" = xNONE && prefix="$ac_default_prefix"
  test "x$exec_prefix" = xNONE && exec_prefix='${prefix}'
  eval ac_define_dir="\"[$]$2\""
  eval ac_define_dir="\"[$]ac_define_dir\""
  AC_SUBST($1, "$ac_define_dir")
  AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED($1, "$ac_define_dir", [$3])
])

I hope this is all right.

Concerning your question about the "legacy" directory: At
one point I wanted to change the internal format in which
macros are marked-up from the jury-rigged text format to
XML, because I figured that a better way to add meta-data to
the macros would be beneficial and XML comes at the added
benefit that it can be validated automatically. Hence, the
"legacy" directory contains the macros in the old format,
whereas the "xml" directory contains the macros in the new
format.

Another point was that we wanted to clean-up the archive in
terms of naming consistency, get rid of duplicate
functionality, etc. As it turned out, doing that was far
more work than I would have imagined so it never really
happened. :-(

Anyway, thanks a lot for the patch. The new version should
show up on www.gnu.org any moment now.

Peter