Re: optional features and AC_ARG_WITH

From: Dan Manthey
Subject: Re: optional features and AC_ARG_WITH
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:25:51 -0500

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Gregorio Guidi <address@hidden> writes:
> >>it is very important when creating a package to know in advance what
> >>features will be enabled in the software at the end of the process,
> >>without knowing the details of the host where the package is
> >>building.
> >

> > When you say "features", do you mean "user-visible features"?  That is
> > the subject tof AC_ARG_ENABLE, and you can control them with the
> > appropriate --with* options when you invoke ./configure.
>                ^^^^^^^
> I think Paul meant "--enable*".
> (Not to be pedantic, but I think this could be confusing given the context.)

Actually, I think --with* is the relevant case here, since I think the
issue is really about mass-configuring whole swathes of packages all of
which may or may not use some related packages that are or are not present
for their use.  I think the goal is

  for p in $packages; do
    (cd $p;  ./configure $all-my-desired-with-options)

and Gregorio probably wants none of them to puke if they can't play well
with all the options.

The again, if this was the case, we'd be talking about AC_ARG_WITH.