Re: Avoid redirecting to /dev/null

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Avoid redirecting to /dev/null
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:21:27 +0000

Annamalai Gurusami wrote:
> We are using autoconf tools for our project.  After doing ./configure
> when I issue the make command, the compiler output is being redirected
> to /dev/null.  How to avoid this redirection?

You need to arrange for libtool to receive -no-suppress in compile mode,
adding it to CFLAGS is probably an option:

$ libtool --help --mode=compile
Usage: libtool [OPTION]... --mode=compile COMPILE-COMMAND... SOURCEFILE

Compile a source file into a libtool library object.

This mode accepts the following additional options:

  -o OUTPUT-FILE    set the output file name to OUTPUT-FILE
  -no-suppress      do not suppress compiler output for multiple passes
  -prefer-pic       try to building PIC objects only
  -prefer-non-pic   try to building non-PIC objects only
  -shared           do not build a `.o' file suitable for static linking
  -static           only build a `.o' file suitable for static linking

COMPILE-COMMAND is a command to be used in creating a `standard' object file
from the given SOURCEFILE.

The output file name is determined by removing the directory component from
SOURCEFILE, then substituting the C source code suffix `.c' with the
library object suffix, `.lo'.

Try `libtool --help' for more information about other modes.

HTH,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}