Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:19:22 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

I think that at present there is no structured dependency
information in the ac files from which configure and so on are
built.  I would suggest that some directives for expressing
dependencies be added, so that tsort could be used to determine the
branching structure of dependencies.  For exmple, you could look at
Rake, or if you are not into Ruby, then Make.  I think you only need
a directive like

This suggests that autoconf should artificially constrain the available options or that packages should necessarily be aware of the available options, or that tested features should exist. If vsnprintf is tested for but is not found by default, what should autoconf do? Should it demand that vsnprintf be provided by a particular "package" and quit? Or should the configure script simply record that the function is not available and the app can deal with that in some other way?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn