Looking for definition of AC_TRY_COMPILER

From: David Wuertele
Subject: Looking for definition of AC_TRY_COMPILER
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:45:28 -0800

I'm trying to rebuild a toolchain from source I got from a vendor.
The vendor is now Kaput, but I'm trying to use their ancient makefiles
to build the toolchain.  Included in the source is a highly patched
glibc-2.2.4 source RPM, and their makefile invokes rpmbuild -ba on
that source RPM.  One of the steps the build does is run autoconf,
which dies with this complaint:

  configure.in:1: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_TRY_COMPILER
        If this token and others are legitimate, please use
        m4_pattern_allow. See the Autoconf documentation.

The offending line is in aclocal.m4:

  AC_TRY_COMPILER([main(){return(0);}], ac_cv_prog_cc_works,
ac_cv_prog_cc_cross)

I have tried using m4_pattern_allow (AC_TRY_COMPILER), but this just
postponed the problem until I run configure, because the
AC_TRY_COMPILER string gets inserted into configure verbatim.

Now, I happen to know that my compiler works, and I would like to
avoid as much BS as possible.  Can anyone tell me how to bypass this
check, or at least insert a definition of AC_TRY_COMPILER() into my
aclocal.m4 file so that autoconf doesn't croak?

Thanks,
Dave