Re: x86_64 and x86 userland

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: x86_64 and x86 userland
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:45:29 +0200

* Bob Proulx:

> 2. User installs amd64 (aka x86-64) kernel.  /usr/bin/ is x86 but can
>    now run amd64 binaries too.  So now the userland is a multiarch
>    userland.

It's also possible to run an AMD64 kernel, but do not install any
AMD64 libraries.  Technically, the system might be able to run
statically-linked AMD64 binaries, but it's not really multiarch.

In fact, it's comparable to the days when some people used the iBSC2
emulation.  config.guess didn't adopt that additional architecture,
either, that's why I think it shouldn't report something which is not
default architecture provided by the toolchain.