Re: using target-specific variables?

From: Harald Dunkel
Subject: Re: using target-specific variables?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:29:48 +0200

Stepan Kasal wrote:

> well, this behaviour is documented in the Automake manual,
> in node ``Extending'':
>
> :    Note that Automake does not make any difference between rules with
> : commands and rules that only specify dependencies.  So it is not
> : possible to append new dependencies to an `automake'-defined target
> : without redefining the entire rule.

I understood that the Makefile.in files generated
by Automake don't care about configured libraries
for computing $(myexe_DEPENDENCIES).

If I manually define this variable using $(myexe_LDADD),
then I have problems with removing all the -L and -l
arguments. And if I try to use additional dependency
lines listing the configured libraries instead, then
I loose the build rule for myexe. Is this correct?

It would be nice if we could find some improvement
here. Maybe an $(EXTRA_myexe_DEPENDENCIES), to be
defined in Makefile.am?

Regards

Harri