Re: is this a good way to use AC_CHECK_HEADERS

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: is this a good way to use AC_CHECK_HEADERS
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:09:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Ed Hartnett wrote:

Another way is to define a new variable "HDF5INCLUDES" and export for
substitution so it may be substituted in the Makefile.  The
substitution on the Makefile may be used to pass it to a CPPFLAGS
definition.

Yes, but the AC_CHECK_HEADERS program doesn't compile with it, and
that's done by configure, not a makefile.

What I do for my own application is to build up CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc., for configure's benefit, but then export much of this data explictly for use in the Makefile depending on how the software is actually built. For example, when building loadable modules, only certain modules need particular flags and libraries. There is a "common" part and a "difference" part.

The value of CPPFLAGS that configure saves is whatever it ends up being at the end of the configure run (at the time config.status is output) so you can overwrite it with whatever abbreviated version you like.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn