Re: Complex compiler/linker tests

From: Liviu Nicoara
Subject: Re: Complex compiler/linker tests
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:12:36 -0600

Ralf,

One trivial example would be a test to detect whether or not a compiler collapses static locals in inline functions occurring in both library and user program. It would require a library and a program, e.g.:

// lib.cpp
inline int foo ()
{
    static int i = 0;
    return ++i;
}

int bar ()
{
    return foo ();
}

// prog.cpp
inline int foo ()
{
    static int i = 0;
    return ++i;
}

extern int bar ();

int main ()
{
    int i = foo();
    int j = bar ();
    return !(i != j);
}

The program returns 0 is the linker correctly collapses the two "static int i".

Anyhoo, I started already looking into autoconf internal macros (e.g. _AC_COMPILE_IFELSE) and it looks pretty straightforward if I take that as a model and don't make unrealistic assumptions about what goes where.

So, the functionality I am going to need would be:
1. macro to compile and link an arbitrary number of source files into a
   library or program
2. macro to compile arbitrary number of source files and link them with
   specified libraries

Any input is appreciated as to the usefulness of this set of macros, esp. from autoconf developers.

Thank you.

Liviu

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hi Liviu,