Re: Complex compiler/linker tests

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Complex compiler/linker tests
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:15:43 +0200

Hi Liviu,

* Liviu Nicoara wrote on Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:12:36PM CEST:

> One trivial example would be a test to detect whether or not a compiler
> collapses static locals in inline functions occurring in both library
> and user program. It would require a library and a program, e.g.:

Ouch.  While I see why you need more than one translation unit
here, the example seems very unfortunate to me: it's a very ugly
and non-intuitive way of coding IMVHO.  Could you provide a useful
example, i.e. one for which it would make sense to adapt a piece
of intended-to-be-portable software to?

To put it another way: with that example, you did not convince me
of the usefulness.  IME the autoconf developers are less easily
convinced than I am.  :)

Regards,