Re: Mac OS X library path woes / issues / complaints

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Mac OS X library path woes / issues / complaints
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:44:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Noah Misch wrote:

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 02:57:29PM -0400, tom fogal wrote:
Of course, the user has the option of specifying
LDFLAGS="/opt/local/lib" (or whatever) on their ./configure line, and
then the configure script finishes. I am of the opinion (and correct me
if I'm wrong) that unless the user jumped through special hoops when
compiling/installing software, they should not have to jump through
special hoops for other software to utilize that install. Arguably

The portable way to configure a package that uses another package installed with
--prefix=$other is `./configure CPPFLAGS=-I$other/include LDFLAGS=-L$other/lib'.

Perhaps INSTALL should document that invocation pattern.  Even so, the need is
common enough to justify providing a shorthand.  I do have a solution in mind.
I hope to be able to contribute it real soon now.

It is easy for a configure script to extend CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS itself based on the prefix but this can cause problems for the user since then the user loses control over the header and linking search path ordering. It is important to ensure that the person doing the install retains control.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn