Re: checking for specific versions of operating system

From: Simon Morgan
Subject: Re: checking for specific versions of operating system
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:56:12 +0100

On 8/23/05, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd try to get the ACX_PTHREAD macro from the autoconf archive and
> work with that.  Any of its shortcomings should be discussed with
> its maintainer (or on this list, FWIW) and incorporated into an
> improved version of the macro.  That way, others can profit, too
> (both those that use the improved macro, as well as those that will
> eventually try to compile your package and don't have to hack around
> to get it to work with their threads support).

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to look into it. Before reading your mail
I managed to come up with the following:

AC_CHECK_LIB(pthread,pthread_create,THREAD_LIBS="-lpthread",THREAD_LIBS="-lkse")

which "seems to work". Can you or anybody else with more experience
than me see any problems with it?

> Another general note: it's generally a bad idea to test for operating
> system versions.  info Autoconf "Why Not Imake" has reasons.

Duly noted.