Re: Underquoting aclocals

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Underquoting aclocals
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:04:33 +0200

* Daryl Lee wrote on Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 09:45:33PM CEST:

> When I ran "autoreconf --install" on the Hello World example, I got many
> "underquoted definition" errors in /usr/local/shared/aclocal.  I picked
> the last one on the list, wrapped the macro name in brackets
> ([AM_PATH_CPPUNIT] instead of just AM_PATH_CPPUNIT) in the definition,
> deleted all the newly created files, and ran autoreconf again.  That
> error dropped off the list, suggesting that I might need to do the same
> thing on many of the files in that directory.  But is there a smarter
> way to handle the problem?  I don't feel good about turning off warnings
> until I have a solid grasp of what's happening.

The right way would be that the authors of the packages to which those
files belong would finally fix their macros!

For more information:
  info Autoconf "Autoconf Language"
                "Programming in M4"

More than you ever wanted to know..
(Short version: ignore those warnings coming from other packages' files,
or better complain to their authors; fix all warnings within your files).