kde moves to scons. The future of autotools?

From: Peter Volkov Alexandrovich
Subject: kde moves to scons. The future of autotools?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:22:00 +0400

Hello.

Yes. A bit provocative subject, but I dare to ask your opinions, guys,
about scons build system. What do you think about it? Is it worth to
change autotools?

The aim of scons is to replace gnu build system, but what are the weak
sides of gnu build system? Yes I know it's rather complex and do not use
md5sum to check for changed files but autotools is time-tested solution.
Could scons replace ./configure, that is standart de facto?

I'm asking here because I think only autotools hackers, who knows
crossbuilding throughout, can can give realy valuable recommendations,
not only advertisments.

Of course I've searches mailing list before posting, but seems no one
asked for opinions about other building systems here.

Thank you for your time,
Peter.