Re: config.status refuses to run

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: config.status refuses to run
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:17:37 -0400

Hi Ralf,
thanks for your answer.
alas, I still have questions:

> * Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> [2005-10-11 11:15:03 +0200]:
>
> * Sam Steingold wrote on Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:34:10PM CEST:
>> I am getting this:
>> sh config.status --recheck
>> configure: loading cache ../config.cache
>> configure: error: `CFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
>> configure: error: `CPPFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
>> configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
>> configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ../config.cache' and start
>> over
>> make[1]: *** [config.status] Error 1
>>
>> I did not set any variables, not by hand.
>> how do I avoid this error?
>>
> *snip*
>>
>> Unfortunately I am getting the above errors (`CFLAGS' was not set in the
>> previous run &c).
>> I understand why I am getting them, but I see no way to avoid them:
>> if I configure module-dir1 before module-dir2, and module-dir2/configure
>> changes CFLAGS, then module-dir1/configure will complain when I try to
>> re-run it.
>> So, how do you handle this issue?
>
> module-dir2/configure *should* *not* *change* CFLAGS.
> It's a user variable.  Assume the user may need to override the developer.

how do I fix this:

AC_ARG_WITH([libtermcap-prefix],
[  --with-libtermcap-prefix[=DIR]  search for ncurses and termcap in DIR],
[case "$withval" in
  (/*) CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS "-I$withval/include
       LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS "-L$withval/lib
esac])

>> the only thing I could come up with so far is quite ugly:
>>
>> --- module-dir/Makefile ---
>> config.status : configure
>>      sh config.status --recheck || (cd ..; rm -fv module-dir; make
>> module-dir)
>> --- module-dir/Makefile ---
>>
>> any other suggestions?
>
> 0) Fix module-dir2/configure not to change CFLAGS.

see above.

> 1) rm ../config.cache

ouch - I do not want to do this routinely, for every change in a
configure file.

> 2) Do not share config.cache among all modules

too many tests are duplicates, this will increase re-build time
enormously.

> 3) Use a config.site file to "cache" some answers which are safe to cache.

all answers are safe to cache.

<http://ffii.org/> <http://www.iris.org.il>
<http://truepeace.org> <http://www.memri.org/> <http://www.mideasttruth.com/>
Lottery is a tax on statistics ignorants.  MS is a tax on computer-idiots.