Re: weird ksh eval behavior

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: weird ksh eval behavior
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:12:48 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf Wildenhues dixit:

>This one is the reason for a subtle CVS Libtool testsuite failure..
>
>With ash-0.3.8, OpenBSD 3.8 'sh' and 'ksh' PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2,

ash-based MirBSD #8 sh and pdksh-based mksh R26 too:

address@hidden:/home/tg $ /bin/sh -c 'false; eval 'foo=$?'; echo $foo'
0
address@hidden:/home/tg $ /bin/mksh -c 'false; eval 'foo=$?'; echo $foo'
0

I have no idea why, or what's expected - in my experience,
using "eval" at all is prone to cause many many errors.

bye,
//mirabile

PS: address@hidden or address@hidden would have been more
    appropriate for that. For this, I added miros-discuss...
existence.              -- Coywolf Qi Hunt