Re: Creating static libraries for Windows

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: Creating static libraries for Windows
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:52:02 +0000

BRM wrote:
> 2) For those of you that are using the MSYS
> environment - is there any other way to create a
> static library using the Autotools under MSYS?

Perhaps address@hidden', (preferred), or
address@hidden' would be better fora for
this discussion; (both are subscriber only lists).

When using MinGW as the compiler suite, under MSYS, you simply
create libraries as libSTUFF.a, then use the -Llibpath and -lSTUFF
switches in the gcc command, just as you would on *nix.  For a small
example of how I've done this, for a MinGW support library, see
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingw-execwrap-1.0.0.tar.gz?download

If you *must* use MSVC, then you must follow M$ convention for all
your Makefile commands, and would use the M$ `lib' command, to
create the libraries.  However, this scenario is probably less
common in an MSYS build environment, where MinGW -- a Win32 port
of GCC -- would be the preferred compiler suite.

HTH.
Keith.