Re: Autoconf and CVS

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: Autoconf and CVS
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:13:41 -0500 (EST)

> > Forgive a newbie question, how do I completely clean all generated
> > files? - Apart from doing it manually? I tried "make distclean" but it's
> > still leaving some auto generated stuff lying around.
>
> I don't know the answer to that. Generally it's not something you *need*
> to do; though I can see how it would be handy when you're first
> importing your project into revision control. For that purpose I've just
> manually removed the generated files.

Hi,
        There's a target called 'maintainer-clean' that will remove them.
This target, however, is enabled by AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, in your
configure.ac.  It is disabled by default, and in its place are Makefile
targets for automatically re-invoking the proper autotools and
config.status when the relevant input files have changed.  I typically
keep around a "rm `find ...`" script for removing maintainer-files to that
I don't have to configure-generate a Makefile before maintainer-cleaning,
which is extremely rare (for me).

David Fang