Re: Autoconf and CVS

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: Autoconf and CVS
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:52:12 -0700

Daniel Pekelharing <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 09:24 +0100, Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote:
> I did think about that..
>
> But as I plan on periodically making releases, which will include all
> auto generated files, that should be OK for end users.. (I think ;-))
>
> Interesting thought: Wouldn't it get annoying if many devs are working
> on one CVS controlled project, and they have different version
> autotools, surely each time they commit their changes they're possibly
> going to have conflicts? Which would make the files unusable? (until
> resolved).
>
> Just my thought, I'm a newbie to Autotools and CVS, so maybe it's not
> such a problem :-)

I have a project with several developers, and we keep the configure.ac
and the configure checked in, but we are moving towards only having
configure.ac checked in.

In general there will be on developer taking the lead on configuration
and make files. He or she will want the latest autotools. Also, he or
she should be the one to generate distributions.

Other developers may not need to stay up with the latest autotools
versions. Unless they decide they need to edit the configuration files
to support some change. This happens with some frequency, so many
developers will have to keep up with autotools versions anyway.

Since that's already the case for us, we are going to stop putting
configure and Makefile(s) in the repository.

Good luck!

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden