In need of some general autoconf/libtool help

From: Jim Keller
Subject: In need of some general autoconf/libtool help
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:09:20 -0500

I'm new to autoconf and libtool, and I'm trying to build some existing libraries into my project. (For those who might be familiar with them, I'm trying to use libmaildir from courier-imap, so that I don't have to write the maildir++ routines myself). However, I'm running into some difficulty, and need some general questions answered. This is on FreeBSD 4.9. Any help at this point would be sincerely appreciated.

My configure.ac is as follows:

AC_PREREQ(2.59)
AC_INIT([cquota],[0.1])
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(src/cquota.c)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
AC_PROG_LN_S
AC_PROG_MAKE_SET
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_HEADER_STDC([])
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(src/numlib src/liblock src/unicode src/maildir)
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile src/Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

And my questions are:

1. I have two different versions of aclocal on the system, one is in /usr/local/share/aclocal and the other is in /usr/local/share/aclocal19. The version in the "aclocal" directory is 1.5. If I run aclocal15 in my build directory, followed by autoconf259 && automake19, the configure script is generated properly, but then gives this error on run: "./ltconfig: Can't open ./ltconfig: No such file or directory". Now, I have a copy of ltconfig in /usr/local/share/libtool13 (but not /usr/local/share/libtool15 - why?). However, ltconfig doesn't appear to be in any of the other build directories I've seen for other projects. Where does it come from, and is it supposed to be generated automatically? And if it's necessary, why doesn't libtoolize --copy put it in the build directory?

2. Trying to get by the previous error, I simply copied /usr/local/share/libtool13/ltconfig into my build directory. I was able to get by the ltconfig error, but was then met with: "ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'". The only way I've found to get by this error is to manually remove --no-verify from the configure script, which I can only assume can potentially lead to problems later.

3. After going through the woes in 1 and 2, I decided to try aclocal19. Initially, it gives the illusion of properly generating the configure script, but doesn't appear to be linking libtool at all. (AC_PROG_LIBTOOL: not found during ./configure). Later in the build, I get libtool errors. I'm assuming this has to do with the fact that libtool15.m4 doesn't exist in /usr/local/share/aclocal19, as it does in /usr/local/share/aclocal. I copied libtool15.m4 into the /usr/local/share/aclocal19 directory, and the configure script runs successfully (are there any other m4 files I should be copying?). However, on make I get: "Linking libnumlib.la \ @LIBTOOL@: not found".

My build commands are as follows:
libtoolize15 --copy --force
aclocal19
autoconf259
automake19

This is where I stand right now, if anyone can offer any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm still just trying to get a handle on how all these tools fit together, since, as I mentioned, I'm very much a novice when it comes to autoconf. Also, after typing this post, I realized it might be better suited to the libtool mailing list, and I will post it there as well, but I figure someone here might have some ideas. Thanks.

-Jim Keller