Re: AC_ARG_WITH?

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: AC_ARG_WITH?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:47:09 -0500

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 18:34 +0000, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I want to make my package have an option to enable or disable the
> use of GMP, should I use AC_ARG_ENABLE or AC_ARG_WITH?
> If the user wants GMP then I will want to check if GMP is installed
> and set a config variable so that in the code I can check if the user
> set GMP.
>
> What's the best way to achieve this?

It depends.

If you can identify a feature (or feature set) that using GMP would
enable, I recommend expressing the option in terms of the feature and
using AC_ARG_ENABLE. If the feature is enabled and the user does not
have GMP installed, fail with a message like "You must have GMP to
enable Feature X".

Otherwise, if you provide some fallback to whatever GMP provides such
that whether or not your compiled binaries use GMP is not obvious to
users, use AC_ARG_WITH.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>