am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:24:43 -0500

For the longest time I've had the generated autoconf files in CVS, and I
used the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE option in the so that when I
would checkout and build the source, the make command wouldn't
regenerate the conf files due to timestamp differences.

Recently, I was told not to use the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE macro anymore,
because it was unsafe, and even the original author no longer uses it.
I ran into a problem with having the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE macro on, and
using the texinfo package. I had to do ./configure
--enable-maintainer-mode in order to get the version.texi file created.

In short, is there a nice way of adding the generated files into CVS and
not having timestamp problems with out this macro?

Bob Rossi