Re: am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:13:26 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Bob Rossi wrote:

yes (CVS isn't the best tool - it happens to be one of the cheapest).
Since it doesn't preserve timestamps or permissions, it's something
that we wouldn't consider in $dayjob.

Does subversion preserve these?

I am sure that when working, Subversion is the coolest thing since sliced bread. What turned me off to it is that its operating/runtime requirements are much more substantial than CVS due to its use of a complex database. Subversion itself does not seem nearly as portable as CVS. Subversion is not useful (to me) if its client can not be easily compiled in (or downloaded for) every modern target environment. Maybe things have improved since I tried last.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn