Re: am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: am files in CVS and MAINTAINER_MODE
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:31:59 -0500

> > Would that stop the need for the --enable-maintainer-mode?
>
> Well, AM_MAINTAINER_MODE hasn't grown ugly over night, so just because
> other people advise against it now, doesn't mean it won't be useful for
> you.  You could avoid it with above suggestions, but you could also just
> leave things as they are.  You just need to keep in mind then that if
> you change prerequisites to one of the generated files, a build tree
> without --enable-maintainer-mode will not cause the dependencies to
> _properly_ reflect those changes.
>
> What was your original problem, by the way?

Sorry for the long delay. The original problem, that made we want to
remove the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE macro was that I started to add
documentation to CGDB. I was using the texinfo package, and at the time,
I didn't realize why I had to add --enable-maintainer-mode when I was
running configure. However, I've checked in the .info and version.texi
files, and this no longer seems to be a problem.

Thanks for the help,
Bob Rossi