Re: debug builds with NO optimizations

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: debug builds with NO optimizations
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:00:36 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Harlan Stenn wrote:

My question: Anyone know of a good idiom for managing optimization flags -
including disabling the obligatory -O2 placed in CFLAGS by AC_PROG_CC?

.../configure CFLAGS=-g

This sucks too - it means one has to do separate "configure" runs for
debug, production, profiled, etc. builds

If it sucks, it seems to be exceedingly minor suckage to me since you can have as many build trees as you want using one source tree. Sometimes it is easier to go with the flow.

The configure run may produce somewhat different answers for different options. The profiled build may use different libraries than the production build or it may use different startup files.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn