Re: invalid variable name errors in cygwin

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: invalid variable name errors in cygwin
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:05:55 +0100

Hi Rüdiger,

* Rüdiger Ranft wrote on Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:28:36AM CET:

> when I try to run my configure it complains about invalid variable names
> given to the script[1]. I tried to get the source of the problem, it
> seems the lines
>
> ~  *=*)
> ~    ac_envvar=`expr "x$ac_option" : 'x\([^=]*\)='`
> ~    # Reject names that are not valid shell variable names.
> ~    expr "x$ac_envvar" : ".*[^_$as_cr_alnum]" >/dev/null &&
> ~      { echo "$as_me: error: invalid variable name: $ac_envvar" >&2
> ~   { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }
>
> are causing the problem. To debug the script I added an
>       echo "checking expression '$ac_option'"
> under the
>       *=*)
> line to see the expression which the script tries to check. But after
> adding this line the problem disapeared[2], so I don't know how to debug
> the script.

Interesting.

Try adding `set -x' before and `set +x' after the parsing loop.
Please report exact shell version used, the exact version of coreutils
(expr), whether configure restarts under another shell (try `sh -x
configure ...' to find that out: if it restarts, debug output stops at a
restart line, before the normal checks).

It may help if you also post the configure script (or tell which package
it came from), which Autoconf version it was produced with, and whether
this happens with more than just this one package.