Re: debug builds with NO optimizations

From: Harald Dunkel
Subject: Re: debug builds with NO optimizations
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:04:56 +0100

John Calcote wrote:
> My point exactly. The autoconf system should reserve a variable that is NOT
> the user. Automake has such a facility - AM_CFLAGS. This variable should be
> reserved for configure to add flags to the compiler command line based on
> higher-level, user-specified options, such as --enable-debug, or
> --with-full-optimization, etc.

There might be platform dependent conflicts between the
default CFLAGS set by configure, and the AM_CFLAGS set in
configure.ac, e.g. if the package has to provide a
debug-only library (explicitly set via AM_CFLAGS=-g
and AM_CPPFLAGS=-DDEBUG, for example), and configure
insists upon keeping '-O2' as a default for your favourite
compiler.

Regards

Harri