Re: Removing '--enable/disable-shared/static' options from configure scr

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Removing '--enable/disable-shared/static' options from configure script
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:37:59 +0100

* Asfand Yar Qazi wrote on Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 01:25:41PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Asfand Yar Qazi wrote on Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:42:38PM CET:
> >
> >>How do I remove the --enable-shared, --disable-shared, --enable-static
> >>and --disable-static options from being displayed in the help or being
> >>used in configuration?

> >If you would like to use Libtool but do not want those options: as far
> >as I know, that is not supported at the moment.  Why would you want to
> >disable this then?
>
> I'm basically asking on behalf of a project that does not support static
> linkage, only dynamic linkage.  When doing static linkage, it compiles the
> dynamic libraries into static ones alright, but the project is designed to
> dynamically load (using dlopen) libraries in at run-time, and therefore the
> applications that use the library still ask for the dymamic library.

On some systems even native dlopen can be made to work in statically-
linked code.  I'd have to know more about the setup to be able to say
more, though.  But in any case it'd only be limiting for some of your
users if you would forbid it (possibly) unnecessarily.

> It's kind of wierd - they need libtool for the dynamic linking, and don't
> support static linking (the programs alway ask for the dynamic libraries
> which they expect to load in at runtime).

Shameless plug: if you already use Libtool for dynamic linking, why not
also use libltdl for portable module loading?  libltdl even allows you
(through preloading) to use a module emulation that works on systems
without any sort of dynamic linking (or in the disable-shared case).

> Another way: is there a macro that removes arguments given to 'configure',
> that can be used to not allow the enable-static or disable-dynamic
> arguments through.

Not that I know of.  The best I could think of off-hand would be to
check at configure time that it has not been used.