Re: question about handling dependent libraries...

From: Chris Pickett
Subject: Re: question about handling dependent libraries...
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:54:15 -0500

Ed Hartnett wrote:
All,

If I have a library (netcdf) which depends on another library (hdf5),
which, in turn, may use another library (zlib), is there a good way to
package things for the end user?

[...]

Should I make a tarball which includes and installs all three in a
single step? This is one thing I am considering. (Using the
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS macro).
However, how to handle cases where one of these is already installed
on the end-user system?

Anyone autotool-using library builder out there who has tried this?

SableVM distributes libffi and libpopt like this, but it might not be the cleanest solution.

http://www.sablevm.org

Chris Pickett
http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/~cpicke/