Re: really small nitpick

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: really small nitpick
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:31:41 -0800

Laurence Darby wrote:

I'm just starting to learn autotools, so far I've tried about 1/4 of
4 tutorials, without much success.  Then I RTFM, and overall it's
surprisingly good :)

Starting from scratch, I ran autoscan, but it gave an error message:
autom4te: no such file or directory
autoscan: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1

It's not an actual problem since configure.scan is generated, but the
error is annoying and unnecessary.
$ touch && autoscan

is nice, as the output shows what's going on and it's obvious what to
do next.  So my nitpick is that I think the manual should mention to
create an initial empty before running autoscan, in part

No.  Autoscan should:

  if test -f

  elif test -f

     echo "NOTE: creating file" >&2

i.e. do the right thing and signal the user what is being done.
Eliminate extra unnecessary steps.  :)  Of course, that needs
to be translated into perl.  Thanks - Bruce