Re: configure sets CFLAGS or how to disable default CFLAGS='-g -O2' for

From: Peter Volkov
Subject: Re: configure sets CFLAGS or how to disable default CFLAGS='-g -O2' for gcc?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 23:04:34 +0400

Thank you for the answer, Ralf.

On Вск, 2006-04-02 at 18:00 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 15:35 +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
> > AM_CFLAGS = $(GLIB_CFLAGS) -O3 -Wall -ffast-math
> Very bad idea. These are architecture- and compiler-specific,
> non-portable flags. You therefore should not set them anywhere.

I'd like to use this flags in scientific (heavy usage of math functions)
application and -O3 makes difference here.

> You are not applying the autotools correctly.
> Don't try to mess up with CFLAGS inside of
> configure.ac or Makefile.am and leave choosing CFLAGS to the user.
> Only the user knows what he wants and needs on his platform.

I do not need to create portable application here. But I'd like to use
autotools as the most flexible solution. I do not want to learn another
build system every time I change architecture ;), but it's hard to
imagine that I will need this particular program there.

> >  Any suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Another related question is what if I want to have different CFLAGS for
> > release and for debugging. How should I do this?
> Leave choosing CFLAGS to the user/installer.

I'm the user :)

Peter.