Re: Qs: -pthread, make builds warns be errors, etc

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: Qs: -pthread, make builds warns be errors, etc
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:13:23 -0700

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 11:27:15PM -0500, Matt England wrote:
> * Is the autom4te.cache generation (on my autoconf-2.59 system) optional?

It is optional; as you indicate in your next post, you do so in ~/.autom4te.cfg.

> I'm trying to minimize the file clutter that autoconf generates in my
> developers working filesystem areas (eg, 'svn status' looks messier then
> need be after running ./configure).

Running `configure' itself never creates `autom4te.cache'.  It is a product of
tools that scan `configure.ac': `autoconf', `automake', and others.

Why not add `autom4te.cache' to svn:ignore?

> Is autom4te.cache directory needed,
> and if not, is there a way I can eliminate it's creation in the
> configure.ac script?

You cannot disable it in `configure.ac'.

> Is it fair to say that this autom4te.cache dir isn't
> used/read by a human  (something that one can not also say for config.log)
> and therefore could be made optional?

Yes; however, whether to use Autom4te caching is really a matter of developer
preference.  That is why you disable it through a local configuration file.