Re: String functions with end pointers?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: String functions with end pointers?
Date: 25 Apr 2006 14:12:57 -0400

%% Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> writes:

  sk> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:51:48AM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
  >> %% Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

  pe> In fact, come to think of it, I wouldn't use str* at all, since the
  pe> functions you're talking about work on arbitrary memory buffers
  pe> that can contain internal NULs.

  >> I was going to protest at first: strncat() checks for both nul and the
  >> length, and I was thinking the new string functions would do likewise.

  sk> IMHO, it would be a very important part of the design that the
  sk> proposed "meme*" functions do not check for internal NULs.

Certainly.  That's the entire point behind the discussion we're having
of str*() vs. mem*().

  sk> example, modern interpreted languages allow for NULs in their
  sk> strings; this feature would help with the implementation.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "modern interpreted languages",
but in C the str*() family of functions always checks for the nul char,
while the mem*() family never does.

It goes without saying that any additions to those families would follow
those conventions.