Re: dynamic linker (Win32)

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dynamic linker (Win32)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 13:29:14 +0200

* Florian Schricker wrote on Mon, May 22, 2006 at 12:11:50PM CEST:
> > Von: Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>
>
> > > Our projects here use libtool/g++ to build DLLs which works fine
> > > (now);

> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4e (1.1162 2002/11/22 22:36:25)
>
> (which is rather old, isn't it? But upgrading MinGW/MSys packages
> unfortunately is *not* as easy as "emerge -u" :-/)

Keith already answered this.  The canned response is: upgrade first.

The issue is rather obvious though:

*snip*
> checking for g77... no
*snip*
> checking for gfortran... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
> checking whether  accepts -g... no
*snip*
> appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build static libraries... yes
> checking for  option to produce PIC... -DDLL_EXPORT
> checking if  PIC flag -DDLL_EXPORT works... no
> checking if  supports -c -o file.o... no
> checking whether the  linker (d:/eyerq/MSYS/1.0/mingw/mingw32/bin/ld.exe)
> supports shared libraries... yes
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... ./configure: -print-search-dirs:
> command not found
> ./configure: -print-search-dirs: command not found
> Win32 ld.exe

> I got this fixed. My bad. But all the above still remains.

This is all due to nonexisting Fortran compiler.  The requirement for
AC_PROG_F77 is due to a limitation in Libtool-1.4.x which is also
present in 1.5.x but not in CVS HEAD, the non-fatal-failure of
AC_PROG_F77 if not called before all other AC_PROG_* is due to how
current Autoconf implements AC_PROG_* and is bound to change at some
point in the future because it is inconsistent and does not match the
documentation fully, but there are packages out there (Libtool being
one but not the only of them) that expect differing and conflicting
behaviors of these macros.  We have agreed to attack this issue only
after Autoconf-2.60.

You can simply ignore the errors you are seeing for now.  Or install a
Fortran compiler, if you like.  :-)