Hi, a few questions from a newbie

From: chinlu chinawa
Subject: Hi, a few questions from a newbie
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:52:45 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

I'm doing something in in assembler (with gas), I'm
new to it, and always wanted to get into the autotools
thing as well, so my code can be easily shared and
hopefully ported.

Been reading the autobook, info manuals for
autoconf/automake, etc (haven't finished yet). My code
is not linking to libc at the moment, so most of the
advanced things autotools provide are not applicable.

Since by itself gas doesn't provide from any extensive
macro-programming procedure, I think the best way to
go is gonna be preprocessing with cpp, so I can get
advantage on configuration headers trough
autoconf/automake (which I'm refering to autotools in
here), and then compile by with `as', and link with
ld.

My question is if there's anyway I can "strip" things
down in terms of the c language part specifically, so
I can have more control over it, whilst it allows me a
faster understanding.

I'll put an example, since my english can get to be
quite bad.

Let's say I just need from autotools to compile an
assembler program, which could very well be a tiny
implementation of wget, so it only uses `socketcall'
family system-calls, such as socket, connect, well,
also recv and send.

Then I might need to know target host's endiannes, and
for ease, let's say this app. is only for linuxes, as
I know other unixes use different tcp/ip
implementations.

Autotools is perfect for things like this, as far as I
understand, I can either create and compile a minimal
assembler program (remeber where are not linking to c
and prefer not having any libc around that makes this
easier for a newbie) or somehow with shell procedures,
or even natively, as I've read autoconf does it within
the autoconf macros archive.

In that case it would be perfect if I could be able to
generate a really minimal autotools project, so I can
clearly see every single detail and study it deeply,
and then grow as the situation needs it. I hope I'm
explaining myslef properly.

So I wonder if anybody can tell me something about, or
can provide some sort of pointers or comments, which
would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,