Re: finding the location of header (.h) files

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: finding the location of header (.h) files
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:39:57 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 02:23:36PM +1000, mick wrote:
> I have an application that depends on gtkhtml-2.0, which seems to be in a
> diferent location in almost every linux or BSD distribution.
> INCLUDES = -I/usr/include/gtkhtml-2.0

many people use pkg-config to solve this.  The gtkhtml2-devel
sub-package should contain something like
        /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgtkhtml-2.0.pc
which describes the requirements of the package.

pkg-config is far from ideal.  For example, it uses `CFLAGS' instead
of `CPPFLAGS' (INCLUDES is an obsolete alias for `CPPFLAGS').
Yet it might be the best solution available atm.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal