Re: extending directory selection, --pkglibdir

From: Tommi Mäkitalo
Subject: Re: extending directory selection, --pkglibdir
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:59:30 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 6. September 2006 10:18 schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
> Hello Tommi,
>
> * Tommi Mäkitalo wrote on Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 07:55:33AM CEST:
> > I have a library-package, which loads driverlibraries at runtime with
> > dlopen. I would like to put these dynamically loaded libraries into a
> > separate package instead of $libdir. In automake I have $pgklibdir, but
> > this can't be changed with configure, because it is a automake-defined
> > variable defined as $libdir/@address@hidden
>
> I still don't understand this.  You can use
>   AC_SUBST([pkglibdir], ['${libdir}/'$PACKAGE])
>
> and it works as intended.  And you can set it to something else if you
> prefer.  And then use pkglib_LTLIBRARIES in Automake.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
(Hi Ralf - nice to meet you here again ;-) )

I want to have a configure-switch, so the packager can decide, where to
install them. Something like:

./configure --pkgdir=/usr/lib/some/where/else

Default will be $libdir/$PACKAGE.

I have a library for databaseaccess in c++ with drivers for different
databases (tntdb). My debian-maintainer would like to make the drivers
version-specific.

One idea he had is to load "drivername.so.0" instead of "drivername.so", but I
don't want to hardwire this .so-extension at all. I use libtool, which knows,
which extension to use, so I only pass "drivername" to lt_dlopen. I have no
chance to add a versionnumber after the extension.

Then we decided to put the drivers into /usr/lib/tntdb0. And that's what I'm
trying to do: to let him decide, where to store the drivers.

Tommi