Re: questions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: questions about AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:44:14 +0200

Hello again,

Ralf has told me that I should be more careful about
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR.  Though it sounds weird, the possibility to call
it with an absolute directory name is documented, so I cannot remove
the comment.  (And I think it's not worth the hassle to `obsolete'
this feature.)

The rest of my previous mail still holds:

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 07:05:52PM +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:55:51PM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Why get rid of ac_macro_dir entirely?  Is it harmful?  (or pointless? :-)
>
> I believe it is pointless; no one uses it, and I cannot see any
> reason why one would need it at configure time.
>
> Attached please find an updated version of the patch.
>
> Paul, I also suggest to edit your changelog entry, because I cannot
> imagine a case where the macro dir is an absolute path.  That would
> effectively mean that the distribution does not contain all primary
> sources, and we should not encourage that.
>
> OK to commit?

Stepan