Re: how to check linked libarys?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to check linked libarys?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:54:11 +0200

Hello,

* Yapo wrote on Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 02:49:02PM CEST:

> I have created configure.in that tests if libary libz.so exists with
> AC_CHECK_FILE (i don't want to search with funcion in AC_CHECK_LIB),

Why do you do or need that?  This sounds very counterintuitive:
typically you try to set up your tests as similar as you would later use
the library in question, so AC_CHECK_LIB or AC_SEARCH_LIBS would seem
the most appropriate (in the usual case).

> then if it is found it also tests libz.so.1.2.3. Now I want to know if
> libary libz.so actualy points at libz.so.1.2.3 since there can be more
> version in the same dir.

Again, why do you need to know that?

> I tried with "test file1 - ef file2";  but i can't make it
> work or I don't know to write the correct syntax (I am new user of gnu
> autoconf).

Well, first that would have to be
  test file1 -ef file2

but also that tests for the files being hardlinked, not symlinked.
Also, note that this test is not portable, as it does not work with some
other shells.

> I would also like to know if there is any predefined macro or
> any exemple on the net of how to get or test libary version.

Hmm.  I think by far the best way to go is to simply try for a specific
feature you need: for example, a function that is only supported in the
library version you need, or, if a compile test does not work, you could
also do a runtime test for some desired behavior.  In that case you need
to do something else in the cross-compilation case though.

Hope that helps.