Re: Inconsistency w.r.t. defining the same symbol more than once

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Inconsistency w.r.t. defining the same symbol more than once
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 07:23:42 -0600

According to Thomas Dickey on 10/9/2006 7:06 AM:
>> The behaviour is not part of the documented interface, because we do
>> not want
>> to commit it.  IOW, we do not want to guarantee that a future version of
>> Autoconf will have the same behaviour.
>> Does this present a problem for you?
> no - I've no intention on using your work, given the stated standards.

I don't mean to be insulting, but your attitude -- not using a newer
version of free software just because you are unwilling to stick to its
documented behavior -- rubs me wrong.  Rather than giving up on modern
autoconf, you could always submit a documentation and testsuite patch
which would MAKE this behavior part of autoconf's guaranteed behavior for
all future versions; such a patch would be evaluated on its merits, and
there is a good chance we would apply it, given that this thread has
demonstrated someone who cares about the results.  In free software, if
you have an itch, provide a patch that scratches that itch.

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             address@hidden
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.1 (Cygwin)