Cross compilation

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Cross compilation
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:05:36 +0200

Years ago, it was suggested to simplify the handling of cross-compilation,
and in particular to no longer require --build: --host alone is the sign that
we're cross compiling.

In Autoconf 2.60, there still remains FIXME about this in general.m4.

How about getting rid of all this now?

Also, the piece of code that tries to infer whether we're cross-compiling:

if test "x$host_alias" != x; then
 if test "x$build_alias" = x; then
   echo "$as_me: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type,
don't use --host.
   If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used." >&2
 elif test "x$build_alias" != "x$host_alias"; then

is run before is loaded, so one can't define
host_alias and build_alias in it (I wouldn't recommend that in general,
but I see no reason to prevent it).

PS/ Please, keep me in CC