Re: proposal - command-line option checking

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: proposal - command-line option checking
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:48:11 -0500

Paul Eggert wrote:
That would run afoul of the GNU coding standards, no?  See
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Configuration.html#Configuration>.
So if you want this to change for Autoconf, probably the first step is
to get the GNU coding standards changed.

Good point.

The right thing to do is probably to make it a warning for now (by default), as Ralf Wildenhues suggested.

In the longer term, I would argue that GNU should change the coding standards so that we can make unrecognized options an error by default. The only reason GCS disallows option checking is to allow recursive configure invocations, and this is handled by making AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS disable option-checking.

Steven