Re: make after reconfiguring

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: make after reconfiguring
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:08:10 +0100

Hello Baurzhan,

* Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:14:45PM CET:

> When I reconfigure a project with a different --localstatedir, make
> doesn't rebuild the affected files (I AM_SUBST AM_CFLAGS with
> -DLOCALSTATEDIR==\\\"\$(localstatedir)\\\"). Will automake rebuild them
> if I move the definition into config.h or my own header file? Could
> anyone please point me to an example how I could do that?

Yes.  A very nice example for this is the configmake.h header generated
by the gnulib module named "configmake", see
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/MODULES.html#module=configmake>.

Have you ever used gnulib before?  If not, and if you don't want to get
into it right now: this special module consists of little more than a
make rule which you can basically read as-is the file
<http://cvs.sv.gnu.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnulib/modules/configmake?root=gnulib&content-type=text/plain>

Otherwise, this FAQ isn't quite what you asked but may be helpful:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Defining-Directories.html>

Hope that helps.