Re: gcc link problem?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: gcc link problem?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:59:15 +0200

Hello Harlan,

* Harlan Stenn wrote on Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:18:39AM CEST:
> I've got a test in a configure script that runs like this:
>
>  checking for MD5Init
>  gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow  -Wstrict-prototypes   conftest.c -lmd5 -lelf >&5
[...]
>  /usr/bin/ld: warning: libssl.so.5, needed by
> /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/../../../libmd5.so, not found (try using
> -rpath or -rpath-link)

So libmd5.so has a DT_NEEDED entry for libssl.so.5 but doesn't actually
need any functions from libssl.so.5?  Further, libssl.so.5 doesn't exist
in the default search path for the runtime linker, but libmd5.so also
doesn't have a DT_RPATH entry pointing to its directory?

> and this test therefore succeeds, as gcc/ld is treating this like a
> warning instead of an error.  The target system is a Debian system, as I
> understand it.

If both libraries are from Debian packages, a bug report is in order.
(The package containing libmd5 should depend on the package containing
libssl; or the dependency should be removed.)