Smart --with-package=DIR (for absentminded users)

From: Thomas Lavergne
Subject: Smart --with-package=DIR (for absentminded users)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:29:25 +0200

Hi all,

Sorry if this is already in the archive. I looked through it and was not lucky. You must also know that I am quite new to autoconf but... I need to learn fast!

I want to implement the --with-package=DIR option to my project's configure script. The --with-package[=yes|no] thing is straightforward using AC_ARG_WITH(). I have however some questions regarding others' experience wth the =DIR part.

1. What should I do if the user is so dumb to actually give a DIR which does not exist? IMHO, I should issue an AC_MSG_ERROR and terminate the configuration: we cannot configure taking into account the user's input. What do you think of that and is there a consensus on how to handle such a situation.

2. How can I detect that /path/to/foo helps in any way for accessing foo.h and libfoo.a? Specifically, if library foo is available in the system directories (e.g. /usr/include and /usr/lib), then providing --with-foo=yes and --with-foo=/wrong/path/to/foo will have the same effect. For foo is accessible to the compiler and linker even if the options -I and -L point to 'wrong' directories, i.e directories not containing foo.h and libfoo.a. Is there a (portable) way of detecting that? In my case, the user might have a custom-made version of foo (with the same file names) and want to use it. I agree he should not have given a wrong path to foo in the first place but users are users and I want to avoid that the software is configured and compiled with the 'system-version' of the library when the user (thought he) especially demanded to use another version.
Any (portable or not) idea?

Thanks in advance.
Thomas