Re: Configuration management Debian-Automake-autoconf

From: Aslak Johannessen
Subject: Re: Configuration management Debian-Automake-autoconf
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:08:10 +0200

I don't understand.  I don't see the duplication.

The duplication, at least i see it as duplication, is in the metadata. I have lined up some of the information elements that go into autotools and debian packageing.

libname
package name
executable name
dependencies
version
maintainer

Some of which are required or used in all three stages and others like maintainer is only used in two(configure and debian/control). A example like dependencies e.g. check for existence in configure, include in makefile and list in debian/control.

This actually points to having a third file for shared meta data. Which could have been used to substitute in to configure.in and makefile.am so that they also contained less project specific information == easier to maintain. But it is probably to much, i think. I want to stick to some what more standard while it's probably not a good idea hence no one has already made it ;D

My question is therefor is there such a system for configuration management that can handle generation of the correct files or at least substitution of them?

Are you trying to generate the ./debian/* files?

It would have been perfect to generate or at least substitute from templates most of the debian/* files.

Thanks also to Baurzhan Ismagulov, for helpful tips in his mail!

--aslak