Re: newby question: to use or not to use ?

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: newby question: to use or not to use ?
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:53:52 +0200

On Jul 9, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:

Hello Benoit, Baurzhan, Cristoph, ... all

Thanks a lot for your comments. I'm starting to test and use Autotools
in order to get a better inside knowledge.

One more question: is there support for the VMS operating system ?

I think so.  (never used it though)

My team must maitain code for Linux, HP-UX, Solaris.... and VMS.... and
MS-Windows.... it's hard to have a clear mind when so many OSs are
involved... :-(

For Windows I hope you'll work with either Cygwin or MinGW because autoconf/automake/libtool don't directly support the Microsoft compiler (although it is possible to get it working with the autotools by hacking your build system a little bit with some wrappers such as cccl or WGCC). I've been using the autotools for a couple of years now and I think this is the only real limitation I ran into. Hopefully there are workarounds.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory