Re: Multi options library

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Re: Multi options library
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:05:06 +0200

Roman Rumisek wrote:
Exists easy way to build multi option libraries (for example: with/without
debug feature) into different library names (for example:
liba_d.so and liba.so)?
I can think of three things, the last one might be the most applicable.

1. I believe the libtool manual has some examples, where they show how to include two rules - one for shared and one for static. I'm not sure if this can be extended to what you want? See section 5.2 of libtool, http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html

2. If you need to have different configure options for each, it might be worthwhile and easiest instead to use the VPATH build feature (if your Makefiles support that) and a shell script to set the options. Then in each subdirectory you'll have the built objects. The same goes for building different architectures also.

3. Alternatively, the automake manual talks about building multiple objects from the same source, see the example for "true" and "false". Section 4.2 at http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html. This might be what you need if you have debug activated from a #define, for example.

Cheers,
Jason.